It was a good week for Irish Baseball! On November 8, 2017, Irish Junior National Team pitcher Mark Neville signed a National Letter of Intent with Marist College. Marist College, located on the banks of the Hudson River in Poughkeepsie, NY, was founded in 1905. The baseball team competes in the MAAC conference (Division-I).
A Key Member of the Irish Junior National Team’s Gold Medal Run
Mark was a key member of the 18U Irish Junior National Baseball Team’s historic gold medal run at the 2017 European B-Pool Championship Tournament in Zurich, Switzerland. He appeared in four three games, throwing four scoreless innings, striking out six batters, while allowing two hits and no walks. He also earned a save in a wild 11-7 victory over Poland, to clinch a spot in the gold medal game.
Mark Neville: Fast Facts
- Mark attends Fordham Prep High School in the Bronx, NY.
- He is one of several Irish-American members of the Irish Junior National Team that has played GAA sports. He has played hurling, rounders, and Gaelic football in County Mayo and in New York.
- Mark’s parents, Mike and Annmarie, are from Mayo (Foxford) and Limerick (Limerick City).
- Mark’s favorite baseball player is Stephen Strasburg.
- Mark’s favorite baseball team is the New York Yankees.
- Mark’s favorite Gaelic football team is Mayo.